General Information: Lesser Trefoil also known as 'Yellow Suckling Clover'
is a member of the clover family and can be a major problem in lawns. Due to its low growing habit
it can colonise quickly and choke the grass killing it.
Leaf: Lesser Trefoil leaves have 3 leaflets which grow on short stalks, unlike
white clover, on which there are no stalks.
Flower: The small flowers which are self pollinating are yellow initially,
later turning brown and flowering from May to October.
Preferred habitat: Lesser Trefoil or Yellow Suckling Clover, prefers free
draining, non acidic and nutrient deficient soils
Control: If the clumps are small and few hand weeding may be practical taking
care to remove the whole plant.
In most cases where Lesser Trefoil has been allowed to spread, chemical control will be necessary
to control this weed. Choose one of the recommended selective weed killers from the list below, one
application is usually not enough, so repeat 6 weeks later if necessary for complete control of
this weed. For help and tips on applying selective herbicide's please visit our lawn control page.
|More Lesser Trefoil images (click to enlarge)
Recommended selective weed killers for amateur gardeners for the control of Lesser
Trefoil or Yellow Suckling Clover in lawns and turf.
- Verdone Extra (fluroxypyr, clopyralid & MCPA).
- Westland lawn weed killer (2,4-D, mecoprop-p & dichlorprop-p).
- Westland lawn feed, weed & moss killer (2,4-D & mecoprop-p)
includes a fertiliser.
- Westland Resolva lawn weed killer (MCPA, mecoprop-p & dicamba).
- Vitax lawn clear (fluroxypyr & mecoprop-p)
- Vitax green up lawn weed & feed + moss killer (2,4-D & mecoprop-p)
includes a fertiliser.
- Doff lawn spot weeder (2,4-D, mecoprop-p& dichlorprop-p).
Recommended selective weed killers for lawn and turf care professionals for the control
of Lesser Trefoil or Yellow Suckling Clover in lawns and turf.
- Scotts Praxys (fluroxypyr, clopyralid & florasulam).
- Scotts Intrepid 2 (dicamba, dichlorprop-p & MCPA).
- Scotts Re-act (MCPA, mecoprop-p & dicamba).
- Barclay Holster (fluroxypyr, 2,4-D and dicamba).
- Mascot Crossbar (fluroxypyr, 2,4-D & dicamba).
- Mascot Greenor (fluroxypyr, clopyralid & MCPA).
- Mascot Super Selective (mecoprop-p, MCPA & dicamba).
When using chemicals always follow the manufactures application and health & safety
Verdone Extra Lawn Weed Killer
Verdone Extra is the ideal product for the control of common lawn and turf
weeds. This lawn weed killer will control broad leaved weeds such as Daisy,
Dandelion, White, Clover, Lesser Trefoil, Plantains and many more making it a
popular choice amongst gardeners and lawn care enthusiasts.
This broad spectrum weed killer contains 3 ingredients fluroxypyr, clopyralid
& MCPA which makes it suitable for a wide range of weeds found in garden lawns
throughout the UK.
The chemical is diluted with water and is applied to the lawn with a either a
sprayer or watering can. This pack contains 1 litre of Verdone Extra which is
enough to treat an area of 667 sq/m or over 700 sq/yds.
For the best results Verdone Extra should be applied when the weeds are actively
growing during the spring and summer. Avoid applying weed killers during times of
turf stress, such as drought and frost. More Info
<< Return to lawn weed