General Information: Cats Ear which is a dandelion type plant is a
perennial weed with a deep taproot. It is very common and can be a major problem on lawns
throughout in the UK as it will tolerate close mowing.
Leaf: Cats Ear leaves are lance shaped, hairy and quite fleshy and the teeth
have rounded edges. See pictures to the right.
Flower: Cats Ear flowers from May to September. The flowers are yellow on a
long stalk. Each stalk may produce one or two flowers.
Preferred Habitat: Cats Ear can be found on a wide range of soils but it
prefers drier, free draining soils.
Control: Hand weed any individual plants taking care to totally remove all of
the taproot. If any of the root remains the plant will regenerate.
For a more widespread problem choose a selective weed killer shown in the list below for the
best results against Cats Ear. A further application 6 weeks later will most likely be necessary to
control this weed.
|More Cats Ear images (click to enlarge)
Recommended selective weed killers for amateur gardeners for the control of Cats Ear in
lawns and turf.
- Verdone Extra (fluroxypyr, clopyralid & MCPA).
- Westland lawn weed killer (2,4-D, mecoprop-p & dichlorprop-p).
- Westland lawn feed, weed & moss killer (2,4-D & mecoprop-p)
includes a fertiliser.
- Vitax green up lawn weed & feed (2,4-D & dicamba) includes a
Recommended selective weed killers for lawn and turf care professionals for the control
of Daisies in lawns and turf.
- Scotts Intrepid 2 (dicamba, dichlorprop-p & MCPA).
- Scotts Re-act (MCPA, mecoprop-p & dicamba).
- Barclay Holster (fluroxypyr, 2,4-D and dicamba).
- Mascot Crossbar (fluroxypyr, 2,4-D & dicamba).
- Mascot Super Selective (mecoprop-p, MCPA & dicamba).